Original Recipe HERE
This was a tasty casserole that was (1) easy to assemble, and (2) light enough that it didn't leave me feeling like I had a rock in my stomach afterward.
More vegetables could be added to bulk it up and add nutrition. And I feel like it was missing a little something to make it extra special. Next time I'll throw some salsa into the mix, a little garlic powder, and something like precooked sausage.
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
2 to 3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon pepper
1 can (15 oz) beans of choice, rinsed & drained [I used pinto]
1 red or green bell pepper, chopped fine
3/4 cup milk
1-1/2 cup brown rice, cooked
2 eggs, beaten
1-1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
(2) In small skillet, heat olive oil on medium high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute until tender.
(3) In large mixing bowl, whisk eggs. Add salt, chili powder, pepper, beans, bell pepper, milk, rice, and cheese; mix well.
(4) Pour mixture into casserole dish.
(5) Bake 25 minutes or until center is firm. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
* Stir all ingredients together
* Pick out red bell pepper AGAIN...someday I will get them to eat it!