1.03.2013

Mim's Classic Buttermilk Pancakes

Original Recipe: from my mom!
 
This is the pancake recipe I grew up on.  It provided many a breakfast - and many a dinner - for my brother and me.  It's not healthy (though someday I should try subbing in some whole wheat flour to compare), but it makes some lovely-tasting, fluffy-yet-substantial stacks.  Husband likes to make pancakes on weekend mornings, and while I appreciate and applaud his efforts, his favorite recipes just can't hold a candle to my mom's.
 
I usually serve this with bacon or sliced-and-sauteed smoked sausage.  And the authentic New Hampshire maple syrup she brings every time she visits.  And I also have been known to top my cakes with additional butter...  The kids love it with mini-chocolate chips in the batter, and it also works with sliced banana and fresh berries (though I'm usually a pancake minimalist and just go with the standard syrup).
 
The recipes makes enough for our family of five, though I often double it to have quick-to-prepare breakfasts for the school week.
 
Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour                                         
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt                                             
3 Tablespoons sugar
2 slightly beaten eggs                                      
2 cups buttermilk
2 Tablespoons melted shortening or butter [I use butter]
 
Directions
(1) In medium mixing bowl, sift or whisk together all dry ingredients.
(2) In large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, and butter until thoroughly combined.
(3) Add dry ingredients to egg mixture; stir only until flour is barely moistened (small lumps are OK).
(4) Cook in 1/3 cup servings (or to personal preference) immediately on hot griddle at 375 degrees or large skillet on medium heat.  Flip when bubbles appear and burst in center of each pancake.  Pancakes are done when golden brown on each side.
 
Kid Participation:
* Whisk dry ingredients
* Whisk wet ingredients
* Ask for pancakes to be made into shapes that Mom has no ability to create
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment