1.17.2013

Banana Waffles

Original Recipe HERE
 
One of my many breakfast-for-dinner staples.  I especially like it because it doesn't require buttermilk.  Yes, I know I can make buttermilk on my own.  But it seems like I'm always running low on regular milk, and I don't like to sacrifice it for a recipe.  Also, the bananas give a subtle sweetness (especially if the ones used are at the just-past-ripe stage) and banana flavor without being overpowering.  I can eat these with a little butter spread on top and sans maple syrup because they have a distinctive enough taste on their own.  Kids love them, and I double the recipe to make enough for them to have breakfast the next day.  I get twelve regular waffles (three large waffles divided into four sub-waffles) out of a doubled recipe, so using the original amounts wouldn't give us nearly enough food.  The amounts listed below are the doubled ones.
 
Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1-1/2 cups milk
large eggs
2 Tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 ripe bananas, thoroughly mashed [but not smooth]
 
Directions
(1) Preheat waffle iron.
(2) In medium mixing bowl, sift or whisk together flours, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon.
(3) In large mixing bowl, whisk eggs.  Add milk, honey, vanilla, and bananas.  Combine thoroughly.
(4) Add dry ingredients to wet in several increments; stir until just combined.  Batter can be lumpy and should not be smooth.
(5) Ladle batter onto waffle iron and cook according to iron's directions.
 
Kid Participation:
* Mash bananas
* Whisk dry ingredients
 

No comments:

Post a Comment