1.10.2013

Compound Butters

Original Recipe HERE
 
Why didn't this ever cross my mind? Only the simplest thing ever. I love butter on everything (including things it has no business coming in contact with), so I'll be doing some experimenting. To serve with my mom's incomparable dinner rolls at Thanksgiving, I made the honey and herbed versions.  The honey was fabulous, but the herbed didn't have as much flavor as I'd have liked.  Next time I'll experiment with amounts and different spices.  The vanilla-cinnamon looked intriguing and will be made for breakfast purposes - probably under the guise of "needing to try a new muffin recipe."  However, vanilla extract will be used instead of the bean.
 
I didn't care about presentation, so I didn't make them into the rolled logs.  I think in the end it made serving easier since we could just pass the bowl around and scoop out what we wanted instead of having to find a serving dish that would fit an oddly-shaped, unsteady roll of butter.
 
Ingredients
* For honey butter:
1/2 cup butter (one stick)
pinch of salt
1 Tablespoon honey [or to taste]
* For herbed butter:
1/2 cup butter (one stick)
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon dried ground thyme
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
 
Directions
(1) Put butter in small mixing bowl.  Allow to soften to room temperature.
(2) When butter is spreadable, add salt and mix-ins.  Use rubber spatula to repeatedly fold mixture together until thoroughly combined.
(3) Transfer butter to dish to be used for serving.  Cover with plastic wrap or lid; refrigerate until 10 minutes before serving.
 
Kid Participation: None.  This recipe was done so quickly, they didn't have a chance to help

No comments:

Post a Comment