Original Recipe HERE
This is my go-to recipe for serving with ham on holidays. It might be too strong to use alone on pulled pork or something similar - maybe tone it down with a little BBQ sauce mixed in? I keep meaning to try it out with shredded chicken in the slow cooker, but I have it in my head that this is a Holiday Recipe and therefore it doesn't cross my mind for approximately 363 days per year.
This makes about 1.5 cups of sauce.
4 Tablespoons butter
½ onion, grated
½ cup yellow mustard
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon dry mustard
½ to 1 teaspoon cayenne [I only use a pinch]
1 bay leaf
Salt to taste [I usually leave it out]
(1) Grate the onion over a cutting board.
(2) In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the butter until frothy.
(3) Add onion. Salute for 3-4 minutes. Don't let the onion brown.
(4) Add all other ingredients. Stir well. Simmer 30 minutes or until slightly thickened.
(5) Remove bay leaf. Serve warm or store in refrigerator.
Kid Participation: None.