1.04.2017

Spicy, Smoky, & Sweet Chili

Original Recipe HERE
This chili was a success all around, with even picky *J* asking me to make it again sometime.  His vote counts twice because I get it less frequently than anyone else's. 
This recipe is easy to tinker with.  I added a can of navy beans that weren't called for in the original recipe because the chili was looking too saucy during cooking.  I'm sure the meat could be eliminated and more beans could take its place.  Also, I made it stovetop because I ran out of time to put it in the crockpot.  I didn't have enough tomato sauce, so I used one 15-ounce and one 8-ounce can.  This actually made it too tomato-y for my taste.  Next time I'll just use the 15 ounces and add a cup or so of water or broth.  Also, I put in the full three tablespoons of chili powder, and future makings will see that decreased.  The overall taste was definitely good, but it bordered on too intense.  I prefer my chili a little milder.
Ingredients
1lb ground beef or turkey
1 large shallot or 1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper
15 to 28 ounces tomato sauce
15oz can Bush’s Vegetarian Baked Beans
15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz) navy beans
2 to 3 Tablespoons chili powder
1 to 2 heaping Tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more or less)
Toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, tortilla chips, sour cream
Directions
(1) In a large pot over medium heat, brown beef, shallot/onion, and garlic.  Season with salt and pepper.
(2) Add remaining ingredients.  Simmer 30 minutes; stir several times.

* To make in slow cooker: transfer beef mixture to 6-qt pot, add other ingredients, & stir.  Cook on low 4-6 hours.

Kid Participation: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment