1.21.2017

Greek Layer Dip

Original Recipe HERE

I figured the kids wouldn't be big fans of this, and 50% of them were not.  I think it was the sharpness of the fresh garlic, since they both asked if there was horseradish in the dip.  I bet they would've liked it more if I left out the garlic completely.Also, fresh tomatoes aren't their favorite.  But *H* and I thought it was great: a very flavorful dip that had a good variety of textures.

I'll make it again, either just for us adults or to serve at a party.  It filled an approximately 8x10" baking dish, but the layers weren't deep.  I would double all ingredients (except the garlic, which was strong) when serving several people.  We scooped it with tortilla strip chips because I couldn't find pita ones.

Ingredients
8 oz hummus
1 cup 0% fat Greek yogurt
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/2 Tablespoon dried dill [or to taste]
1&1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
pinches of salt & pepper
2 to 3 Tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
1 cup English cucumber, diced small
1 cup Roma tomato, seeded & diced small
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese [I did not use]
1/4 cup sliced olives [I did not use]

Directions
(1) In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, garlic, dill, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
(2) Toss together cucumber and tomato pieces.
(3) Rinse red onion pieces in strainer.  Drain.
(4) In an approximately 8x8" dish, spread hummus. Top with yogurt mixture; spread evenly.
(5) Scatter red onion, cucumber, and tomatoes on top.
(6) Sprinkle feta and olives on top.  Press gently with flat hands to slightly settle vegetables into the yogurt layer.

Kid Participation:
* Whisk together yogurt mixture ingredients
* Spread each layer
* Press down if you trust them to have delicate hands

No comments:

Post a Comment