1.10.2013

Cranberry & Apple Crisp

Original Recipe HERE
 
While I would happily have every dessert I ever make be chocolate-based, I know not everyone shares the same obsession.  So if it's not going to be full of my VIP ingredient of choice, I like to go in the opposite direction and include fruit: if it's not going to be obviously bad for you, why not pretend it's masquerading as something good for you?
 
Per the recipe, I used granny smith apples and found the final product to be too tart for my liking.  Next time I'll substitute some sweeter ones.  Also, because the apples were in the back of our fridge and went through an unfortunate freeze/thaw cycle, I had to throw out a few and use pears in their place.  I don't know how much of a difference they made; everything got mixed in together so I never identified a definite bite of apple or pear either way.
Ingredients
* For topping:
1 cup flour
1 cup old-fashioned oats
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cold butter
* For fruit layer:
8 to 9 apples
2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen) [I used fresh]
1-1/4 cups sugar
7 Tablespoons flour
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
7 Tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
 
Directions
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease 9x13" baking pan (I used glass).
(2) Mix dry topping ingredients together until well combined.  Add cold butter; mix with fingers or pastry cutter until it resembles coarse meal.  Put in refrigerator while preparing fruit layer.
(3) Peel, core, and cut apples into 1/4" slices.
(4) In large bowl, mix apples, cranberries, sugar, flour, and cinnamon.  Add butter; toss to combine.  Transfer mixture to baking dish.
(5) Crumble topping over fruit.  Bake for about 1 hour, or until apples are desired tenderness.  Cover with foil after 30 minutes to prevent browning.
(6) Cool slightly and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
 
Kid Participation:
* Mix dry ingredients
* Make apple mixture
* Crumble topping
* Expect to have whipped cream squirted into your mouths during the entire process

No comments:

Post a Comment