1.22.2013

Coconut Zucchini Banana Bread

Original Recipe HERE

I had two bananas that Husband wanted to throw out because he can't stand the smell of bananas that are even slightly past ripe...it's some sort of sixth sense he has.  I also had grabbed several zucchinis last time I was at the grocery store, but I wasn't feeling inspired.  I decided to combine them into muffins that were healthier than what I'd normally gravitate toward.  The Weight Watchers Points Tracker says they are 5 points each, though.  Eh, still healthier.  Especially since I patted myself on the back for leaving out the chocolate.

I made 12 muffins and one small (aka, flat-ish) loaf of bread, so I estimate this would make 20 muffins.  The kids really liked them.  Next time I'll cut down on the coconut (I used one cup).  They were a little too sweet to be the breakfast-y muffins I was aiming for, but eliminating the coconut entirely might make them too bland.  Oh dear, Husband is going to have to suffer through another round of stinky browning bananas for the sake of tweaking this recipe...

Ingredients
3 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil [I used coconut oil]
2 medium bananas, well mashed
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 to 4 cups grated zucchini [I used 3 medium]
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup honey
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 to 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1/2 to 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut

Directions
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin tin or bread pan.
(2) If using coconut oil, melt to liquid form using a double boiler.
(3) In large mixing bowl, whisk eggs. Add oil, banana, vanilla, zucchini, and sugars. Let set several minutes until sugar is partially dissolved.
(4) In separate mixing bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and coconut.
(5) Add dry ingredients to wet mixture. Stir until just combined.
(6) Transfer batter to baking tins. Bake 20-25 minutes for 12 muffins and approximately an hour for a full loaf. Test for doneness by inserting a knife in center; bread is done when it comes out clean.
(7) Remove from oven. Run knife along edges to loosen. Leave in tins 10 minutes; remove to rack to cool completely.

Kid Participation:
* Mash bananas by hand
* Whisk wet ingredients
* Whisk dry ingredients
* Stir all ingredients together
 

No comments:

Post a Comment