1.10.2013

Oven-Baked Turkey Breast

Original Recipe HERE
 
I didn't feel like having a full-fledged turkey for Thanksgiving: there's a lot of waste, and I don't like looking at a carcass.  Makes me feel guilty (and hypocritical).  When I broached this to Husband, who had designated himself as Man in Charge of Turkey, he was not pleased.  Before I knew how it happened, turkey duty had been passed to me.  So...while I embraced my added responsibility slightly begrudgingly, I was overall happy to have gotten my wish.
 
I thought about using my mom's traditional Martha-inspired cheesecloth method, but...I didn't.  Maybe next year, since I love the end result.  However, this one made for a fine main dish, and I don't feel our Thanksgiving celebration was diminished at all because we didn't have a pile of bones at the end of the night.  It wasn't overly flavorful; next time I'll add greater amounts of spices just because of personal preference.
 
I made the gravy that the original recipe included.  It was OK, but again, it needed more flavor.  And again, I'll add more seasonings afterward.  Also, upon standing for a few minutes, it began to thicken too much.  I halved the amount of cornstarch and included that updated info in the recipe below.
 
Another reason for not wanting to do a giant turkey is because it takes up our entire oven and makes it more tricky and limiting for preparing and/or reheating side dishes. If I could free up the oven for several more hours than expected, that would be lovely. Since a breast takes less than half the time of a regular turkey to cook, I thought it would make my life a lot easier. And it did.
 
Ingredients
1 bone-in whole turkey breast (4 1/2 to 5 pounds), thawed if frozen [mine was about 7 pounds]
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup dry white wine or margarine [I used sweet white wine]
1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon paprika [I used smoked paprika]
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 Tablespoons cold water
 
Directions
(1) Heat oven to 325ºF. Place turkey, skin side up, on rack in large shallow roasting pan.  Roast uncovered 1 hour.
(2) Mix butter, wine, thyme, salt, paprika and garlic. Brush turkey with half of the butter mixture.
(3) Roast 30 minutes; brush with remaining butter mixture.
(4) Roast about 1 hour longer or until thermometer reads 165ºF.
(5) Remove turkey from oven.  Let stand 15 minutes for easier carving.
(6) While turkey rests, pour pan drippings into measuring cup.  Skim fat from drippings. Add enough water to drippings to measure 2 cups.
(7) Heat drippings to boiling in 1-quart saucepan. Mix cornstarch and 2 tablespoons cold water; stir into drippings. Boil and stir 1 minute. Serve with turkey.
 
Kid Participation: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment