Original Recipe HERE
I might have found my go-to cornbread recipe. Forget trying to find healthy versions; they never have the fluffiness or sweetness or moistness that I'm searching for. These made awesome regular-sized muffins. And...I chopped up some hotdogs and added it to the second half of the batter, which made "corndog muffins" for the kids. *N* ate her weight in them; *J* picked out the hotdog bits to eat and played helicopter, boat, and plane with the actual muffin.
The only change I would make is less sugar. I liked how sweet they were, but that wouldn't compliment all main dishes I'd serve them with. Hopefully experimenting won't alter the end result too much.
2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
1 2/3 cups milk
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
(1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9x13x2" baking pan or muffin tin.
(2) Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.
(3) In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and milk.
(4) In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
(5) Add flour mixture to butter and sugar alternately with egg mixture.
(6) Pour batter into pan or muffin tin. Bake 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
* Crack eggs
* Whisk eggs and milk
* Combine dry ingredients
* Stir together all ingredients