4.23.2012

Brown Rice in the Oven

Original Recipe HERE

I don't know whether my interpretation of the recipe resembles the original enough to bother linking back, but I'm in a nice, non-plagaristic mood tonight, so I will.

I had a bag of Diamond G brand California brown rice and enough time, for once, to cook it.  I almost always turn to instant brown rice, but the texture can leave something to be desired.  So I did some googling and came across the above recipe.  It looked like it would be a little bland, and I also didn't have the beef broth, so I took inspiration from the basic recipe and got a little fancier.

Both kids loved it and asked for several bowls' worth.  I would've eaten a lot more, but then Husband would have only had roasted broccoli waiting for him upon getting home.  I know, who doesn't love tucking into a bowl of cold, limp broccoli at 11pm?  But just in case, and because of the aforementioned charitable mood, I saved him some.  The recipe was a bit too butter-y, in my opinion (yes, turns out there actually is such a thing as too much butter).  Not so much the taste, but the texture.  So I'm assuming a little less would work just as well and adjusted the amount below.  Also, don't bake it until all the liquid is gone.  You don't want it to be soupy, but it should still have a little bit of sauce.

Ingredients
3 cups broth [beef, chicken, or vegetable]
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2-3 Tablespoons dried minced onions
1-1/2 cups brown rice [not instant]

Directions
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
(2) In small bowl, whisk together broth, butter, and tomato paste.
(3) Transfer broth mixture to 2-quart casserole dish.  Sprinkle garlic salt and minced onions onto liquid.
(4) Add rice to casserole dish.  Stir gently.
(5) Bake, covered, approximately 45 minutes or until most liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
(6) Remove cover and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes if necessary.  Do not allow all liquid to be absorbed.

Kid Participation: None, other than making me relieved that they liked it because otherwise it would have been yogurt and applesauce for dinner because Mama hasn't been grocery shopping in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment