3.11.2012

Gingerbread Pancakes

Original Recipe HERE

I got excited at the idea of gingerbread pancakes but wasn't sure if the reality of them would meet my expectations.  Would the texture be too dense or too gummy?  Would the gingerbread flavor be too pronounced or too weak?  Would I burn one side of half the pancakes as I usually do?  I'm happy to report that these were awesome pancakes.  I didn't even put syrup on them at first; they are great served au naturale.  They really just as I thought they would.

I doubled the original recipe and listed it as such below.  It will make a lot, but these are the types of pancakes you eat six of and then realize too late that you've eaten six of them.  They kept well in the fridge for breakfast the next day, and I assume they can be frozen, too.  Just in case they aren't potentially dessert-y enough as-is, next time I might sneak in some mini chocolate chips.

Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
4 Tablespoons molasses
4 large eggs
4 Tablespoons butter, melted & cooled [plus more for the pan]

Directions
(1) In a medium bowl, whisk or sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
(2) In a separate large bowl, whisk the eggs.  Add milk, molasses, and butter.  Whisk to combine.
(3) Add flour mixture to liquid mixture.  Whisk until just combined.
(4) Let batter stand for 10 to 15 minutes to thicken.
(5) Heat a large skillet on medium heat.  Add butter to grease it.
(6) Pour 2 tablespoons [or more if you want larger pancakes] of batter in the skillet.  Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cooked through.

Kid Participation:
* Whisk dry ingredients
* Whisk wet ingredients
* Eat a lot of pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment