Original Recipe HERE
I'm a risotto amateur, and this recipe was not the one to elevate me to "competent." However, that was due to lack of time and patience. We were attempting a picnic in the backyard, but kids were getting hungry and the sun was setting. So I had to rush through the cooking of the arborio rice, and it wasn't quite as tender as it should be. That didn't matter, since the recipe was great and everyone ate some.
I used chicken bratwurst, which I'd never seen at our deli before. Loved it; will use it again in other sausage-requiring dishes.. I am not a fan of peas in general, and I think this would be really good with asparagus instead.
1 package pre-cooked sweet italian sausage [I used a 4-pack of chicken bratwurst]
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup risotto rice (arborio)
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 large onion
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt & pepper
(1) Slice sausages in half lengthwise. Slice again, crosswise, into 1/4" thick pieces.
(2) Chop onion into small pieces.
(3) In large pot on medium-high heat, brown sausage with a tablespoon of olive oil. When done, set aside on paper towel-lined plate.
(4) In same pot, add more olive oil and onion. Saute until translucent.
(5) Add rice to onion; cook while stirring to lightly toast rice.
(6) Add wine to pot. Turn down heat to medium; stir frequently & cook until wine is absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes.
(7) Add broth to pot. Repeat steps used with wine. When broth has cooked down, add remaining cup. Entire process should take 15 to 20 minutes.
(8) When rice is tender, add peas (and more liquid if necessary). Cook for 2 minutes.
(9) Return sausage to pot. Add parmesan, salt, and pepper to taste.
Kid Participation: None.