3.20.2012

Dijon Green Beans & Onions

Original Recipe: Taste of Home August/September 2007 issue

When I'm at the commissary and gazing around the produce section, looking for inspiration for side dishes, my old stand-bys are broccoli and cauliflower.  However, I occasionally go rogue and stuff some handfuls of green beans into a bag.  Then I get home and wonder what to do with them.  I think my challenge is that they are a difficult shape to work with, since I like my veggies smothered in sauces and cheeses (because I don't like most of them and only eat them as an example to my kids).  Green beans have no nooks or crannies in which to trap the necessary toppings.

This tasty sauce had enough "cling factor" (a phrase probably not to be used when discussing things you're going to eat) so that each bite had plenty of flavor.  I bet this would taste even better cold, but since *N* asked to have the rest of it packed in her school lunch the next day, I'll have to make it again to find out.  She also requested three helpings at dinner.  What kid eats like that??  She may have inherited my sweet tooth, but luckily she has a green tooth, too.  Wait, that doesn't sound right...

Ingredients
1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup grape tomatoes[optional]
1/2 small red onion
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese [optional]

Directions
(1) Trim green bean ends.  Cut in half if desired.
(2) Place beans in large saucepan of boiling water or steamer basket.  Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
(3) Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, oil, mustard, salt, and pepper in medium bowl to make dressing.
(4) Slice onion thinly into half-moons or quarter-rounds.  Add to dressing.
(5) Cut tomatoes in half.  Add to dressing.
(6) Drain beans.  Add to dressing.
(7) Toss salad thoroughly.  Sprinkle each serving with parmesan if desired.

Kid Participation: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment