3.07.2012

Pumpkin Muffins, the Cheater's Way

I'd heard about the "1 boxed cake mix + 1 can of pumpkin = deliciousness" legend, so I tried it with a chocolate mix.  It turned out perfectly fine, but there was no detection of pumpkin.  Further research led to the knowledge that a spice cake is the best way to achieve that.  Whether I tasted the actual pumpkin or just the spices in the mix, who knows.  But it was criminally easy and pretty darn yummy.
I read that the batter - and resulting baked good - can be slightly dense if just the mix and pumpkin are used.  The jury seemed to be out on that.  Per many suggestions, I added some eggs and a little bit of water.  I made the box mix into muffins, but the recipe is flexible enough to make a sheet cake, a loaf, or even cookies (so I read).  I got 19 muffins instead of the promised 24, but that's probably better anyway because I ate three-quarters of them.

Ingredients
1 box (18.25 oz) spice cake mix [I used Duncan Hines]
1 can (15 oz) pure pumpkin
2 eggs
1/4 cup water

Directions
(1) Preheat oven to 350.  Grease muffin tin
(2) In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin, and water until well combined.
(3) Mix in cake mix until well combined.
(4) Pour batter into muffin tin.  Bake 18-20 minutes [mine were done at 18] or until a knife inserted in a muffin comes out clean.

Kid Participation:
* Whisk wet ingredients
* Whisk cake mix into wet ingredients
* Wonder where all the muffins disappeared to overnight...ahem, Mama...

No comments:

Post a Comment