Original Recipe HERE
I wasn't sure how this dish would go over with the kids since they hate onions. And I'm not a fan of a strong curry flavor, so I'd understand if they didn't like that particular spice, either. My fears proved unfounded since they gobbled it up and asked for more. As expected, they didn't eat the onions, but since I had added some other stuff to the onions at the end of the carmelizing process, they got some vegetables into their tummies after all.
I didn't cook the onions properly, so they were soft and sweet but not technically carmelized. They were in the pan plenty long enough, but they didn't turn the telltale color they should have. I think the heat needed to be a little higher. And using a larger pan, so they weren't as crowded, would've made more sense.
* For carmelized onions
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 white onions, sliced into half moons
2 teaspoons sugar
Assorted chopped veggies (carrots, celery, asparagus, etc.) [optional]
* For lentils
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (15 oz) can chicken or vegetable broth
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
salt & pepper, to taste
1-1/4 cup green lentils
(1) In medium skillet, add olive oil, sliced onions, and sugar. Bring to a sizzling saute over medium heat, then reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes, stirring often.
(2) During last few minutes of cooking, add optional chopped vegetables. Cook until no longer crunchy but not too soft.
(3) Once browned and sweet, remove from heat and set aside.
(4) In the meantime, whisk together tomato sauce and chicken broth in a medium skillet.
(5) Stir in curry powder, garlic powder, ginger, salt, and pepper.
(6) Bring to bubbling; add lentils. Cover; cook over medium high heat 15 to 20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
(7) While lentils and onions are cooking, prepare enough brown rice to make 3 cups.
(8) Serve lentils over rice with onions on top.
Kid Participation: None...just being willing to try something they are skeptical about because they just might like it.