3.17.2013

Mini Chicken Pot Pies

Original Recipe HERE
 
I love food that comes in its own complete little "package."  These are perfectly sized for kids, and the presentation means they might be more apt to try it, too.  I normally stay away from any of those condensed/"cream of" soups, but I needed something easy that night.  I'm sure some substitution involving broth, corn starch, sour cream, etc. is available online.
 
I thought these were great.  *N* and *J* both said they liked them, but they didn't ask for more than the two I originally gave them.  But since it would be easy to tweak the flavors to suit different tastes, I'll definitely make these again.  Bonuses: I made the filling ahead of time and quickly assembled them when it was time to bake, they didn't make a mess at mealtime, and they were easy to reheat.
 
I doubled parts of the recipe since 10 pies wasn't going to be nearly enough to feed us; new amounts reflected below.  Time for some math: I used 3 cans of biscuits (7.5 oz each can, 10 biscuits to a can) and got 18 pies by using 1.5 biscuits per pie.
 
Ingredients
2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts - cooked and shredded
1 can (14.5 oz) condensed cream of ____ soup [your choice; I used mushroom with roasted garlic]
1.5 to 2 cups finely chopped vegetables, frozen or fresh [I used carrots, peas, celery, and onion]
1.5 cups shredded cheese of choice
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 to 3 cans (10 oz) *OR* 3 to 4 cans (7.5 oz) Pillsbury biscuits [I used buttermilk
 
Directions
(1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Spray or grease approximately 18 cups of muffin tins.
(2) In a medium bowl, combine soup, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper.
(3) Add chicken, vegetables, and cheese.  Mix thoroughly.
(4) Press biscuits into muffin cups, covering bottoms and up the sides.  Check to make sure no air pockets remain.
(5) Scoop chicken mixture into biscuits, filling to top.  Sprinkle with additional shredded cheese if desired.
(6) Bake 12 minutes.  Check pies; bake additional 2 to 3 minutes if biscuit edges are not golden brown yet.
(7) Cool in muffin tins for 3 minutes.  Remove; serve.
 
Kid Participation:
* Mix mixture
* Scoop mixture

No comments:

Post a Comment