3.17.2013

Cream Cheese Fruit Dip

Original Recipe HERE
 
I never ate fruit with dinner as a child, other than my mom's homemade applesauce.  It was her go-to side dish with pork chops and pot roast.  I never make either of those in my house, so eating fruit after 12:00pm never really crossed my mind.  Until I had kids.  Since mine love it, I don't have trouble getting (most) fruits into them every day.  But I understand if they get burned out on eating the same kinds, in the same forms, day after day.  Enter dip.

I always have the ingredients with this on hand, so when I'm stumped for a side dish, I can whip it up (literally) in the stand mixer in minutes.  I also send it with *N* for school lunches.  So far, we can attest that it's great with pears, apples, bananas, pineapples, cantaloupe, and red grapes.  It certainly takes the health benefits of the fruit down a notch, but variety is the spice of life, and I'm OK with it.
 
It works better if you plan more than 5 minutes ahead so (1) the cream cheese has time to soften enough, and (2) the brown sugar has time to dissolve (I recommend making a batch, letting it sit about 10 minutes, and giving it another quick blending to break up any remaining clumps of sugar).
 
Ingredients
1 block (8 oz) reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar [more or less, to taste]
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon [more or less, to taste]
 
Directions
(1) With a mixer or by hand, blend cream cheese until easily spreadable.
(2) Add sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon.  Blend until well mixed.
 
Kid Participation:
* Mush up cream cheese
* Add other ingredients & stir
* Neglect other parts of dinner in favor of eating just fruit and dip

No comments:

Post a Comment