2.26.2013

Creamed Spinach

Original Recipe HERE
 
I had a lot of fresh spinach threatening to turn mushy in about 24 hours, so I pulled this out of my bookmarked links.  I made a few tweaks based on the comments and what I thought might maybe, possibly, somehow get fresh spinach into my kids.
 
*N* said she liked it...and then she didn't.  Per usual, she was a trooper who finished the serving I gave her.  *J* refused, even after I sprinkled Parmesan on it, and I only got two bites into him.  However, little *P* seemed to really enjoy it - maybe spinach has magical powers for a teething toddler?  I thought it was great.  Husband said he thinks he remembered liking it, but he was too distracted by the kids climbing all over him after he returned from work as he ate his dinner.  So it appears to be split down the middle.  I won't make it again for our typical family dinner, but I'll hopefully remember it for special occasions and holidays.  I'd like to test it out on a few more people and get their verdicts.
 
I had a 16-ounce container and an 11-ounce bag, and it made just enough to feed all of us if, in theory, we all had good-sized portions.  However, the amount of sauce was about four times what I needed, and so now it's in the fridge awaiting being added to roasted broccoli.  I'm pretty sure the kids will eat that version, since they objected to the overtly spinach flavor the first time.
 
Ingredients
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2-1/2 cups whole milk
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 pounds spinach (stems removed)
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
pepper
Parmesan or grated/shredded cheese [optional]
 
Directions
(1) Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.  Whisk in flour until smooth.  Continue to cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
(2) Whisk in milk and nutmeg.  Bring to a boil, whisking frequently.  Remove from heat; cool slightly.
(3) Heat deep skillet over medium heat.  Add spinach and salt.
(4) Cover; cook 3 minutes.  Toss spinach; continue to wilt, uncovered, an additional 2 minutes.
(5) Drain spinach; cool slightly.  Squeeze or press until mostly dry.  Coarsely chop.
(6) Reheat sauce over medium heat.  Whisk in egg.  Bright to slight boil, stirring, and allow sauce to thicken.
(7) Add spinach to sauce.  Season with salt and pepper.
 
Kid Participation: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment