2.25.2013

Stovetop Popcorn

Original Recipe HERE
 
I love popcorn.  I love unhealthy popcorn.  I love movie theater popcorn saturated with the butter-reminiscent sludge they have.  I love microwave popcorn in all its hazardous chemical glory.  I realize that this is a problem.
 
Lately I've been using a paper lunch bag and plain kernals in the microwave.  Surely better, but I wanted to get away from microwaving entirely.  This method produced awesome crunchy (without being dried out) popcorn that I then drizzled with genuine melted butter and sprinkled with salt.  Old-school but worth the little bit of extra work.
 
Ingredients
3 tablespoons canola, peanut or grapeseed oil [I used grapeseed]
1/3 to 1/2 cup popcorn kernals
Salt [optional]
Butter [optional]
 
Directions
(1) Heat oil in a 3-quart saucepan on medium-high heat.
(2) Add 3 or 4 popcorn kernels to oil.  Cover pan.
(3) When kernels pop, add remaining kernals.  Cover, remove from heat.
(4) Gently shake pan to ensure all kernals are covered with oil.  Wait 30 seconds.
(5) Return pan to heat. Once popping starts in earnest, gently shake pan on burner.  Keep lid slightly ajar to allow steam to release.
(6) Once popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove pan from heat and immediately transfer popcorn to serving bowl.
 
Kid Participation: Watch the action without getting too close to the hot pan.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment