2.25.2013

Tangy Meatballs

Original Recipe HERE
 
I had bought some meatballs with the assumption that I'd make a sauce and serve it all over rice. Which is exactly what I did.  This was super easy, and 90% of the dinner was eaten in one sitting, leaving me very little for lunch the next day.  Success comes back to bite me.
 
I put in the half-cup of vinegar that the original recipe called for, and the sauce had a bit too much "bite" or sourness to it.  I will reduce the amount next time (reflected below) and/or return to the original full cup of brown sugar.  I prefer my barbecue-type sauces to be sweeter.
 
Ingredients
1 cup (8 oz) ketchup
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped [optional]
2 to 3 garlic cloves, pressed
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons mustard [I used dijon]
1/4 to 1/2 cup vinegar [I used cider vinegar]
pre-cooked meatballs, fresh or frozen
 
Directions
(1) Add all ingredients to large sauce pan; stir to combine.
(2) Add meatballs; stir to coat.
(3) Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 30 minutes to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
 
Kid Participation: None.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment