11.05.2010

Greek Israeli Couscous Salad

Original Recipe HERE

I wasn't sure if this would be a disappointment because its ingredient list is so basic.  I was worried about a lack of flavor, and I'm not a big fan of a strong lemon taste.  Plus I'd never had Israeli couscous before, and I'm hit-or-miss with my success at preparing regular couscous.  However, I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.  And both *N* and *J* gobbled it up and asked for seconds (her with words, him with grunting and pointing).

It says this serves four, which sounds accurate if you're dishing out large portions as a side dish.  Increasing the amount of couscous or veggies (or adding new ones, like chopped red pepper) could bump it up into entree territory.  It says you can use regular couscous, but I think the larger grains (kernals? particles?) of the Israeli variety make it heartier.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups Israeli Couscous
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 cups water
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 large cucumber, seeded & diced
1 large tomato, seeded & diced
1 Tablespoon parsley, chopped [optional; I did not use]

Directions
(1) Place couscous and olive oil in medium sauce pan and toast for 5 minutes over medium heat.
(2) Add water and bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer for 12 minutes.  Remove from heat and drain if necessary.  Transfer to serving bowl and allow to cool.
(3) Pour in remaining ingredients and stir to combine.

Notes: Next time I may just drain a can of diced tomatoes because fresh tomatoes aren't in season.  I may add some red or green onion to boost the crunch factor.

Kid Participation:
* Measure ingredients
* Mix ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment