11.07.2010

Black Bean Spinach Pizza

Original Recipe Found in Taste of Home's 2006 Quick Cooking Annual Recipes

I love homemade pizza, but I worry my family gets tired of having it the same way every time.  This seemed like a somewhat healthy alternative version.

I didn't think the amount of beans would be enough, so I added another half-can of garbanzos.  In retrospect, there was too much bean-iness on the pizza, so I'll stick with the recommended one can next time.

Ingredients
pizza crust [I used this one]
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
3/4 cup salsa
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce [optional]
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Directions
(1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Prepare pizza crust according to directions
(2) In small bowl, combine beans, onion, chili powder, cumin, and garlic.  Mash (I used a pastry cutter) until a spreadable consistency is reached.  Spread over crust.
(3) In another bowl, combine salsa, spinach, and hot sauce.  Layer over bean mixture.
(4) Sprinkle cheese over pizza.
(5) Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.

Notes: More toppings, like chopped green onions or canned diced green chilis, would add more flavor.  So would using different types of cheese.  A different salsa, like a pineapple-based one, could be good.

Kid Particpation:
* Mash bean mixture
* Stir salsa mixture
* Sprinkle cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment