Original Recipe HERE
Is it OK to call this an Egg McMuffin casserole? No McDonald's products were harmed in the making of it.
We had this for dinner, and three out of three kids said they liked it. No second helpings were had because we were running supremely late and bedtime was on the horizon, but I think they would've if I let them.
I almost put shredded cheese in this (because if it's basically a giant mess of breakfast sandwich-ness, how was there no cheese??), and I'll add it to the egg/milk mixture next time. I think it would've added that little extra flavor I was looking for (because I forgot to put in the salt and pepper, and I debated things like oregano or Montreal Steak seasoning or Jane's Krazy but didn't follow through). I could've put vegetables in if diced small and cooked with the sausage, but *P* reminded me that *J* would pick them all out. Next time I'll sneak some finely chopped spinach and red pepper, maybe.
Also, this is a very kid-friendly meal, preparation-wise. *P* helped me make it at lunchtime, and I put it in the oven when we got home from afterschool activities at 6:00pm.
6 English muffins, torn into large bite-sized pieces
1 package (1 lb) ground sausage [I used one 16 oz "tube"]
1/2 cup onion, diced small
1 teaspoon jarred minced garlic
8 eggs [I used 4 whole eggs and the equivalent of 4 egg whites]
1 & 1/2 cups milk
2 Tablespoons spicy mustard
salt & pepper
(1) Grease a 9x13" glass baking dish.
(2) In a large skillet over medium heat, brown sausage until no longer pink, breaking it up as it cooks. Add onion and garlic during final minutes of cooking.
(3) Toss together muffin pieces and sausage mixture. Spread evenly in baking dish.
(4) In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, salt, and pepper.
(5) Pour egg mixture over the muffin mixture. Bake immediately or cover and refrigerate overnight.
(6) In an oven heated to 350 degrees F, bake casserole 45-50 minutes or until eggs are set in the middle. Cover with foil during last 15 minutes to avoid browning if needed.
* Tear muffins
* Stir together muffins and sausage
* Crack eggs
* Whisk wet ingredients
* Pour egg mixture