4.08.2015

Bean & Salsa Soup

Original Recipe HERE

This meal is so simple, my three-year old could do it.  So he did.  I assisted with opening cans and operating the stove, but otherwise he did the entire thing.  Everyone had at least one serving and declared it "good." I always have all these ingredients on hand, and this can be prepared hours in advance or in about 15 minutes.

I tweaked the ingredients to make a more substantial soup.  And to negate my previous statement, for once in my life, I didn't have a can of black beans in the pantry, so I used two cans of white beans.  Next time, I'd like something with a little more texture in it: green or red onions, red pepper, or something else to give a little crunch.  Also, I'll probably do a few zaps with the immersion blender to make it thicker.

Ingredients
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained & rinsed
1 can (15 oz) navy beans [or other white beans], drained & rinsed
2 cups frozen corn
1 jar (12 to 15 oz) salsa
1 can (small) sliced olives, drained & rinsed
2 cups water or broth [I did 1 cup of each]
1 teaspoon Southwest Seasoning [McCormick brand, or any related spices]
flour tortillas [optional]
garnishes (avocado, chives, shredded cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, etc.)

Directions
(1) Combine all ingredients except tortillas and garnishes in a soup pot or slow cooker
(2) Heat on the stove until simmering or in the slow cooker for 2 hours on low.
(3) If desired, cut tortillas into bite-size pieces and layer in individual bowls.  Garnish soup to taste.

Kid Participation: Everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment