8.24.2014

Parmesan Orzo with Vegetables

Original Recipe: from my godmother
 
I made this because my kids like pasta and Parmesan, both separately and together.  I thought the appearance of onions and mushrooms might cause problems but that they'd at least be willing to try it.  Willing they were, and then they all decided it needed barbecue sauce.  Hmm...  None really liked it, but I thought it was great.  I'll make it again when more adults are dining with us, and I'll try the water-and-white-wine method instead of the broth (it's the end of a summer spent with four kids together 24/7, so I really can't spare any wine for cooking until September).
 
It barely made one meal's worth, so I would double the recipe next time (that is, if I thought other people in the family would eat it).  Also, I think roasted asparagus or broccoli or sauteed spinach would be a good addition.
 
Ingredients
2 Tablespoons butter
1 small white onion, diced
1 cup chopped mushrooms [I used baby bella]
1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
1 cup water [I substituted chicken broth]
1/2 cup white wine [I substituted chicken broth]
garlic powder to taste [I used 1/4 teaspoon]
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 to 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
 
Directions
1) In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
2) Add onions; cook until slightly tender.
3) Add mushrooms and orzo.  Cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes
4) Add liquid to saucepan.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
5) Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
6) Cook 7-10 minutes, or until orzo is al dente.
7) Remove from heat.  Stir in Parmesan.

Kid Participation: Add barbecue sauce...?

No comments:

Post a Comment