8.23.2014

BBQ Turkey Meatballs

Original Recipe HERE
 
These meatballs were awesome, especially served with the corn salad that is suggested.  Like, I could've eaten it every night for a week.  *N* ate both, *J* ate the meatballs, and *P* ate the corn.  Hope they get used to it, because I want to make it again ASAP.  It is even worth me using my bare hands to form the meatballs, which is a task I abhor.  Like, it's enough to make me seriously consider going full vegetarian.  Except then I couldn't eat the resulting meatballs, which would be a shame.
 
I doubted how tasty these could be because they seemed sort of plain and didn't have a sauce pairing, but they exceeded expectations.  I realized too late that I didn't have any panko, so regular Italian breadcrumbs were used this time.  It was somewhat tricky to make sure that the ingredients were combined well, without any clumps of the breadcrumb mixture scattered throughout.  I probably need to find a better order in which to incorporate the ingredients.
 
Ingredients
1 lb ground turkey [my package was 1.3 lbs]
1/4 cup panko
1 or 2 scallions, minced
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dry mustard
3/4 teaspoon salt
pinch of cayenne
2 teaspoons brown sugar
5 Tablespoons barbecue sauce, divided
 
Directions
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper, and spray lightly with cooking spray (I used parchment and didn't spray it).
2) In a large bowl, whisk together panko, paprika, garlic powder, dry mustard, salt, cayenne, and brown sugar.
3) Add scallions and 2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce.  Mix thoroughly.
4) Add turkey; mix with hands until evenly combined.
5) Form 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture into a lightly packed meatball.  Put on baking sheet.  Repeat with remaining mixture (I got about 16 meatballs).
6) Bake meatballs 11-12 minutes.  Brush with reserved barbecue sauce.  Return to oven; bake an additional 3-4 minutes or until cooked through.
 
Kid Participation: The only thing *N* wanted to do was help form the meatballs - a job I was happy to turn over to her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment