8.01.2014

Honey Mustard Lentils & Rice

Original Recipe HERE
 
I took a risk on this one, not sure if it would have enough flavor to appeal to my family nor whether the texture would sit well with them.  The kids all ate some as a side dish - I think the sweetness of the honey was key.  It was a little bland for me...I think fresh onion would've been better.
 
Next time I will add smoked sausage or something else to turn it into a one-dish meal.  Also, it made a TON of food.  I will definitely cut the ingredient amounts in half.
 
Ingredients
1 lb green lentils
1 cup brown rice
3 Tablespoons dried minced onion or 1 cup chopped fresh onion [I used dried]
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup mustard [I used Dijon]
1/3 cup honey
 
Directions
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) In a large mixing bowl, combine lentils, rice, onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
3) Pour 7 cups hot water into the lentil mixture.  Stir gently.
4) In a small bowl, combine mustard and honey.  Gently fold into lentil mixture.
5) Pour lentil mixture into a 9x13" glass baking dish.  Cover tightly with foil.
6) Bake 60 minutes, or until rice and lentils are soft.
 
Kid Participation:
* Measure dry ingredients
* Stirring.  Lots of stirring.

No comments:

Post a Comment