10.25.2013

Slow Cooker Refried Bean Soup

Original Recipe HERE
 
I thought this would be a standard, "good enough but nothing special" dish that wouldn't go into regular rotation but be an adequate "emergency" meal on days I wasn't sure what else to make.  However, it smelled really good while cooking, and its flavor exceeded my expectations.  I think the fresh garlic made the difference.  I decreased the amount of cumin from the original recipe (because it offends me) and subbed in smoked paprika.
 
Everyone in my family ate this.  I served it with shredded white cheddar and sour cream.  I also saw that it wasn't making the monstrous amount of food that crock pot meals normally do, so I made pearl barley as well, scooping it into bowls and ladeling soup over it.  Because I did that, I didn't feel the need to make any cornbread or add another "substantial" element to the meal.
 
Ingredients
1 can (15 oz) refried beans [I used fat free]
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained & rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
1 cup peeled, diced carrots
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin [I used roasted]
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
 
Directions
(1) Add all ingredients to slow cooker.  Stir.
(2) Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 6-8.  Stir on occasion to break up refried bean "mass."  Once carrots are softened to preference, soup is done.
(3) [Optional] Use an immersion blender to puree a small amount of soup to thicken it.
(4) Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, sliced green onions, or other desired toppings.
 
Kid Participation:
* Add ingredients to slow cooker
* Grate cheese (under close supervision so fingertips and knuckles stay intact)

No comments:

Post a Comment