10.13.2013

Roasted Cauliflower & Cheddar Soup

Original Recipe HERE
 
I had high hopes for this soup since my kids - usually - love roasted cauliflower.  *J* is its biggest fan, but he was in a mood that night and would barely taste it.  *P* isn't a huge soup eater (one of the very few foods he isn't in love with), so I couldn't get him to eat much, either.  So I looked at this giant pot of soup with dismay, wondering what I would do with what seemed like gallons of food no one would eat.

And then I got a chance to finally taste my own portion (moms' dinners = so often delayed), and I realized that I could eat the entire thing myself.  Luckily *N* loved it, too - and I think Husband would've...that is, if he'd been home to eat dinner instead of spending all day in Boston with friends and spontaneously deciding to stay overnight.  Luckily the lingering taste of resentment and bitterness didn't affect my appreciation of the soup...
 
Anywho.  Because I used a large head, I should've added more salt and pepper and more cheese - next time, 2 cups?  I could taste the roasted-ness of the cauliflower, but I would've liked the cheese flavor to be more pronounced.
 
Ingredients
* For cauliflower:
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
2 Tablespoons olive oil
salt & pepper
* For soup:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 to 3 cloves garlic, chopped [I used my garlic press]
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
3 to 4 cups broth [I used vegetable]
1-1/2 cups aged white cheddar, shredded
1 cup milk [I used 2%] or cream
salt & pepper
 
Directions
(1) Preheat oven to 400 F.
(2) Toss cauliflower with oil, salt, and pepper.  Spread in single layer on large baking sheet.
(3) Roast until lightly golden brown, 20-30 minutes.
(4) Heat oil in large sauce pan over medium heat.  Add onion; saute several minutes until tender.
(5) Add garlic and thyme; saute an additional 1-2 minutes.
(6) Add broth and cauliflower.  Bring to a boil.
(7) Reduce heat.  Simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
(8) Using an immersion blender, puree soup to desired consistency.
(9) Add cheese, letting it melt without boiling.
(10) Add milk.  Season with salt and pepper.  Remove from heat.
(11) If soup is too thick, add additional broth (I used the entire 4 cups).
 
Kid Participation: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment