5.29.2012

Honey Bars

Original Recipe HERE

These were an easy thing to make since I had all the ingredients on hand.  I'm not a fan of dried fruit or nuts in something that looks like a dessert-ish bar; it confuses my taste buds and my brain cannot decide whether it's processing a sweet treat or a healthy snack.  In the cup of dried fruit the recipe calls for, I mixed craisins, golden raisins..and mini chocolate chips.  Next time I'll leave out the raisins (which I only included because my kids like them) and go with more chocolate.  I used pecans for my nut selection and thought they worked fine.  Husband remarked that he could detect the honey flavor, and I could smell it while baking, so the "honey" element doesn't get lost.

I used a 9x9 silicone pan, so my bars were pretty thin.  They baked for 19 minutes (should have been 18, but I was feeding the baby) and were done upon removal from the oven.  I let them cool a few minutes and then cut them into two large slabs.  I removed them from the pan (much easier to do than from a regular metal or glass pan) and put them on the rack to cool more quickly.

Ingredients
3 egg whites
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 Tablespoons oil (vegetable or canola)
1 cup dried fruit
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup all-purpose white flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 chopped nuts
1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions
(1) Preheat oven to 350.  Grease an 8x8 baking pan.
(2) In a large bowl, whisk together salt, flours, nuts, oats, and cinnamon.
(3) Add dried fruit; stir until well-coated.
(4) In a separate bowl, whisk together honey, vanilla, and oil.
(5) In a third bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
(6) Combine dry and wet ingredients until well-mixed.  Fold egg whites into mixture; do not overmix.
(7) Pour batter into pan.  Bake 25 minutes.  Cool completely before cutting.

Kid Participation:
* Whisk together dried ingredients
* Whisk together wet ingredients
* Crack eggs
* Pour batter & smooth in pan


No comments:

Post a Comment