5.05.2014

West African Peanut Soup

Original Recipe HERE
 
So...I don't know what to say about this recipe and its success.  I thought it was great.  *N* also requested several helpings.  The boys didn't really complain (because *J* makes it quite clear when he's horrified that I dared serve something so disgusting), but they didn't finish their bowls.  I scooped it over brown rice, and I reheated it for lunch the following two days.
 
I added some salt after taste-testing, and I think it would've been fine if I'd just chopped up fresh spinach and didn't hunt down the collard greens.  I'd also consider using powdered ginger for convenience.
 
 Ingredients
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1 sweet potato, peeled & diced into 1/2" pieces
1 large onion
1 bell pepper [I used red]
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
4 cloves garlic
1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
4 cups vegetable broth
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
3/4 cup natural peanut butter
3/4 cup water
1 bunch collard greens
Salt and pepper
Cilantro and peanuts to garnish (optional) [I did not use]

Directions
(1) Heat sesame oil in a large pot over medium heat.
(2) Add sweet potato; saute.
(3) Meanwhile, chop onion, bell pepper, and garlic.  Grate ginger.
(4) Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, ginger, and cayenne to pot.  Cook 15 minutes.
(5) Add broth and tomatoes.  Bring soup to a simmer; cook an additional 15 minutes.
(6) Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together peanut butter and water until smooth.
(7) Wash greens.  Cut out and discard stems.  Slice remaining portions into 1" pieces.
(8) Add peanut butter mixture and greens to soup.  Cook for 10 minutes.
(9) Blend about 2 cups of the soup (I used an immersion blender) for a thicker texture if desired.
(10) Season with salt and pepper.  Serve into bowls; top with cilantro and peanuts if using.
 
Kid Participation: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment