5.19.2014

Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal

Original Recipe HERE
 
I'm realizing that I turn to "brinner" meals a lot more than I'd ever intended to, but they're so easy and kid-pleasing that it's hard not to make them a weekly staple.  And then I wonder...why do I feel like I shouldn't rely on them so often?  Food is food, and other than the amounts of sugar and eggs (which can often be modified or substituted), these things are usually pretty healthy.  Bring on another baked oatmeal recipe!
 
This did resemble apple pie in taste and, somewhat, in texture and presentation.  I squirted a little surprise whipped cream on each kid's serving, which solidified the likeness.
 
I used a mix of Granny Smith and Fuji apples, and I doubled the amount of the "filling" because I knew the original amounts wouldn't be enough (altered amounts are shown below).  Sure enough, the four of us (minus Husband) just about finished a 9x13" dish of this stuff.  A little - though not enough for my liking - was left for breakfast the next day.

UPDATE: I made this again, and it was drier than the first time.  I think I accidentally added too many oats, because the oatmeal mostly sat on top of the apples and cooked into a solid layer.  Next time I'll try stirring the apples and oatmeal mixture together and baking that way.
 
Ingredients
* For the apple layer:
5 medium apples
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
3 to 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons corn starch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves [can substitute nutmeg]

* For the oatmeal layer:
2 large eggs
1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1-1/2 cups milk
2-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats

Directions
(1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Grease a 9x13" baking dish.
(2) Peel apples if desired.  Cut apples into 1/2" to 1" cubes. 
(3) In a medium bowl, whisk lemon juice, corn starch, brown sugar, cinnamon, and cloves.
(4) Add apples to spice mixture; toss until well-coated.  Spread in an even layer in the bottom of the baking dish.
(5) In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, apple sauce, vanilla, salt, baking powder, brown sugar, and cinnamon. 
(6) Add milk; whisk again.
(7) Add oats; stir until well-combined.
(8) Pour oat mixture evenly over apples.
(9) Bake oatmeal for 45 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and no longer wet in the center.
 
Kid Participation:
* Whisk spice mixture
* Toss (though not literally) apples with spice mixture
* Whisk oatmeal mixture
* Spoon oatmeal mixture over apples

No comments:

Post a Comment