2.03.2014

Slow Cooker Lentil Chili

Original Recipe HERE
 
This almost filled my entire 5.5 quart (I think?) slow cooker.  Therefore we ate it for two dinners, plus we had leftovers for lunches.  Good thing everyone liked it, though it looked like it would've frozen well.  Or, instead, you could just cut the ingredients in half (or maybe just use less canned beans) and adjust cooking time slightly.  As long as the lentils are sufficiently softened, it's ready to go.  I served it with cheddar dill biscuits.
 
Ingredients
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 jalapeño, diced, seeds removed
1 red pepper, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and diced [I didn't have one]
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
2 cans (15 oz each) tomato sauce
2 cans (15 oz each) diced tomatoes
1 bag (16 oz) brown lentils, rinsed
2 cans (15 oz each) small red beans, rinsed and drained [I used 1 black and 1 great northern]
2-3 tablespoons chili powder [I used 1-1/2 Tablespoons]
1 tablespoon cumin [I omitted]
1 to 2 Tablespoons seasoning of choice [I used a Cajun mix]
Salt and black pepper, to taste
"Mexican-style" toppings of choice
 
Directions
(1) Dice onion, peppers, and carrot.  Mince garlic.
(2) Remove seeds from jalapeno; finely chop.
(3) Add all ingredients to slow cooker.  Stir to combine.
(4) Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours.
(5) If desired, blend a small portion of the soup to thicken it.
(6) Serve warm with sour cream, shredded cheese, diced green onion, etc.
 
Kid Participation: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment