11.28.2012

Baked Blueberry & Banana Oatmeal

Original Recipe HERE

I threw this together on a night when I had no idea what I was making but didn't want to resort to pasta or egg sandwiches yet again.  *N* was eating dinner at a friend's house, so the remaining four of us pretty much polished off the entire dish.  I was shocked to see it disappear before my eyes so quickly - and disappointed, since I was hoping to make the next day's morning routine easier by having breakfast already made.  I will definitely make this again.

I assume that other berries could be substituted.  I have a bag of blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries in my freezer right now that would be worth a try.  Also, pureeing some (or all) of the bananas and mixing them into the wet ingredients might make for a moister, more uniformly-flavorful dish.
 
Ingredients
3 to 4 medium ripe bananas, sliced into 1/2" rounds
1 to 2 cups blueberries [I used thawed frozen berries]
1/2 cup honey or agave
2-1/2 cups uncooked oats [I used old fashioned] 
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans [optional; I did not use]
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ [optional]
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt 
2 cups milk
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
yogurt for topping [optional; I used fat-free French vanilla]
 
Directions
(1) Preheat oven to 375° F. Lightly grease a 9x13" baking dish.
(2) Arrange banana slices in a single layer in the dish. Sprinkle blueberries over bananas.
(3) Dust 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon over fruit.  Drizzle with 2 tablespoons honey.
(4) Cover with foil.  Bake 15 minutes.
(5) Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, thoroughly combine oats, nuts, baking powder, remaining cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
(6) In separate bowl, whisk together remaining honey, milk, eggs, and vanilla.
(7) Evenly spread oat mixture over fruit.  Slowly pour milk mixture over oats, distributing as evenly as possible.
(8) Bake oatmeal for about 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the oatmeal has set. Serve warm from the oven, with yogurt if desired.
 
Kid Participation: Eat it and love it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment