11.28.2012

White Cheddar Corn Soup

Original Recipe HERE
 
This soup was...wait for it...easy and tasty.  I know, I start just about every post with those two words somewhere in the first three lines.  But I guess that makes sense, since I'm not going to want to repeat anything that's not at least tasty - and easy is a huge bonus.
 
I bought a block of white cheddar and grated about a cup of it.  Then, for no reason I can explain, I switched to a garlic-and-herb block that I love.  I doubt it made much of a difference in the end product, so I'd think that most cheese could be substituted.  I mostly recognized corn with hints of red pepper; the cheese seemed to affect the texture more than the taste.
 
All three kids happily ate it, as did Husband and I.  I served it with "homemade" biscuits (courtesy of Bisquick and some milk) and sliced smoked sausage rounds, browned in a pan.  *N* and *J* enjoyed dipping the biscuits and sausage into the soup.
 
This made enough to feed all of us for one night plus leftovers for my lunch.  So it's not one of the huge Commitment Soups that you'll be eating for a week.
 
Ingredients
1 to 2 Tablespoons butter
1 small onion [preferably Vidalia], diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 to 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2-1/2 cups frozen corn kernels [I used one 16-oz bag]
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream or half-n-half
1-1/4 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
 
Directions
(1) In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter.
(2) Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 10 minutes or until softened.
(3) Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes.
(4) Add broth, corn, bay leaf, salt, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 30 minutes.
(5) Discard bay leaf. Blend mixture with immersion blender (or transfer two cups at a time to a blender; return mixture to saucepan. Repeat until all soup is blended).
(6) Add cream to soup; bring to a boil.
(7) Stir in cheese.  Turn off heat; stir until cheese is melted.
 
Kid Participation: None.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment