Original Recipe HERE
This is a standard, sturdy recipe that doesn't open new culinary horizons, but it's tasty and healthy and light enough that you don't feel like you have five gallons of soup sloshing around in your stomach afterward.
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 can (28 oz) diced tomato
2 cans (15 oz each) beans of choice, drained & rinsed [I used black and pinto]
1 bag (1 lb) frozen corn kernels
1 medium zucchini, grated & drained
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 box (32 oz) vegetable stock
(1) Heat oil on medium heat in a large skillet.
(2) Add onions; cook for 3 minutes.
(3) Add garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Cook 1 minute.
(4) Transfer onion mixture to slow cooker.
(5) Add remaining ingredients; stir to combine.
(6) Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.
(7) Serve with accompaniments: sliced green onions, shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa, etc.
Kid Participation: None.