10.09.2012

Bulgur with Tomatoes & Honey

 
I came up with this recipe after my mom brought me a big container of bulgur (which we prefer to call "cracked wheat" because for some reason - perhaps because of her time spent in Turkey with the Peace Corps - her particular pronunciation of "bulgur" is offensive to my ears).  I was trying to figure out what to do with it, but all the recipes I was coming across online used ingredients I didn't have or took too long to cook or didn't sound like something my kids would eat.  So I mish-mashed this one together.  Apologies if it's actually a copyrighted recipe.
 
I thought this was great, and *N* and *J* both ate their portions, with *N* asking for more.  No way was I trusting *P* with something like this; the mess would've been of epic proportions.  We've had too many couscous travesties in this house; I know better now.  I doubled the recipe, and it fed us all at dinner plus gave me lunch for the next few days.  I thought it tasted just as good cold as hot.  I might throw in a littel garlic powder next time, but other than that, I liked the unholy trio of onion, honey, and tomato and how they worked well together.
 
Ingredients
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup bulgur
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
1 teaspoon dried basil [I used Italian seasoning]
1-1/2 cups broth
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
salt & pepper
 
Directions
(1) Heat broth until hot.
(2) In a large skillet, heat olive oil.  Add onion; brown until tender.
(3) Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
(4) Add bulghur; allow it to get slightly toasty.
(5) Add tomatoes and Italian basil. Stir until well combined.
(6) Add hot broth.  Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 5 minutes.
(7) Add honey, tomato paste, and salt and pepper to taste.  Stir well.
(8) Cook approximately 25 minutes or until broth is completely absorbed.
 
Kid Participation: None...the entire preparation involved shart knives or hot burners.

No comments:

Post a Comment