8.01.2012

Crustless Zucchini & Cheese Pie

Original Recipe HERE
\
I prefer my quiches to have a crust (extra prefer it if it's homemade), but this eliminated that step that can be time-consuming and unpredictable.  I was shocked that *N* and *J* had three slices apiece.  Boo, no leftovers for me for lunch tomorrow.

I will try it with regular all-purpose flour next time.  I tasted the slight bitterness of the whole wheat and thought it distracted from the others (though I had the regular brown type, not the white as the recipe called for).  Also, I will try a cheese with a more pronounced flavor and probably throw in some garlic powder (because garlic powder enhances almost everything).

Ingredients
10 oz shredded zucchini [I used two medium]
2 large eggs, beaten
2/3 cup fat free milk
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped shallots 
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
3 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (King Aurthur)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
fresh cracked pepper to taste

Directions
(1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Grease a standard-size pie dish.
(2) Squeeze as much liquid out of zucchini as possible using a dishtowel or cheesecloth.
(3) In medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and oil.
(4) Add zucchini, shallots, and cheeses to egg mixture.  Combine thoroughly.
(5) Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper.  Add to mixture.
(6) Pour batter into pie dish.  Bake 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.  Pie will be set and turning golden on top.  Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.

Kid Participation:
* Squeeze the heck out of the zucchini
* Whisk wet ingredients
* Stir all ingredients together

No comments:

Post a Comment