8.01.2012

Chickpea, Peanut Butter, & Chocolate Chip Bites

Original Recipe HERE

I was eager yet apprehensive to try these.  Eager because I was intrigued by the chickpea element; apprehensive because I was scared I would like them a lot and eat them all and go back and make more.  I am nothing if not self-aware.

The original writer insisted that they were better warm and would be too chickpea-ish if eaten at room temperature.  I didn't have that experience.  All I tasted was the peanut butter with a nice hint of honey.  Most were eaten the night they were made, but 24 hours later the remaining ones were delicious and still ever-so-slightly gooey in the center.  They will remain soft after baking; don't wait until they get crispy.  Mine had a barely detectable crust on the top when I took them out.

Update: I made these again, and they DID taste too chickpea-ish (FYI, when something has chickpeas in it and I don't like it, I refer to them as garbanzos because that awkward, alternate name seems to fit my impression better than the benign "chickpea").  I eyeballed the amounts and probably didn't put in enough peanut butter or honey.  Next time I'll also try a bit of ground cinnamon in my quest to perfect this recipe.

Ingredients
1-1/4 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed & patted dry
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons peanut butter [I used Smart Balance creamy}
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt (if peanut butter doesn't have salt in it)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Directions
(1) Preheat oven to 350°F.
(2) Combine all ingredients, except for chocolate chips, in a food processor.  Process until very smooth.
(3) Add chocolate chips.  Process until just combined. Mixture will be very thick and sticky.
(4) With wet hands or a mini scoop, form dough into 1-1/2" balls. Place onto Silpat or piece of parchment paper lining a baking sheet.  They can be close together; they do not expand much.
(5) Bake 10 minutes. Yields about 30 1" bites.

Kid Participation:
* Add ingredients to food processor
* Operate processor
* Use scoop to place dough on cookie sheet
* Eat too many of them because they're so small that Mama would allow, "OK, just one more."

No comments:

Post a Comment