Original Recipe HERE
Still working on finding a Brussels sprouts recipe that everyone in the family likes. This one wasn't it, but I think with a little tweaking it could be. Pretty sure it was the addition of the balsamic vinegar that turned the kids off, but the sprouts themselves didn't seem to offend them.
Next time I'll use a little butter along with the bacon grease to cook the onion and sprouts for the sake of flavor. A little garlic salt never hurt anyone, either. Also, I used the grating blade with my food processor and it demolished the first round of sprouts into pieces much too small to cook. I had to slice the rest of them by hand. Next time I'll use the slicing blade.
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
6 strips bacon, sliced small
1/2 onion, chopped
salt & pepper to taste
grated parmesan cheese, to taste
(1) Trim sprouts; discard any damaged outside leaves. Wash.
(2) Using a food processor with its slicing blade, shred the sprouts. Alternately, cut into thin slices by hand.
(3) Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon. Cook, stirring often, until lightly browned.
(4) Drain bacon grease, leaving behind about 1 tablespoon. Add onions; sautee until tender.
(5) Add sprouts. Cook, stirring, until tender (about 5 minutes).
(6) Pour in vinegar; increase the heat to high. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until the vinegar has evaporated.
(7) Serve; top with cheese.
Kid Participation: None.