2.24.2012

(Somewhat) Healthy Zucchini Muffins

Original Recipe HERE

I made these into muffins to help with portion control.  Which didn't actually help at all, since the recipe made 12 muffins and I think I ate eight of them.  They had a light, just-sweet-enough taste that kept me coming back for more.  Great for breakfast with a (generous) spread of butter.  I wonder if they'd be good with some peanut butter...or nutella!  Ooh.  Darn, curiosity has gotten the better of me and I must make these again ASAP.

Usually baking with zucchini calls for squeezing most of the liquid out, but the original recipe didn't specify.  I shredded it on the finer side of my grater and then used a paper towel to absorb most of the liquid that naturally pooled beneath it.  It was still very mushy when I added it to the batter, but the consistency of the muffins was perfect.  So I guess that's the way to go with this particular recipe.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup milk
1 Tablespoon lime (or lemon) juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup peeled, grated zucchini, slightly drained

Directions
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a regular-size muffin tin.
(2) Sift together dry ingredients using a sifter or a fine mesh strainer.
(3) Combine egg, milk, oil, apple sauce, lime juice, vanilla; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened.
(4) Fold in zucchini.
(5) Fill muffin tins two-thirds full.  Bake 20-25 minutes [mine were done at 22] or until a knife inserted in the center of one muffin comes out clean.
(6) Let sit several minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely.  Muffins are best when stored uncovered or loosely covered.

Kid Participation:
* Whisk and/or sift dry ingredients
* Whisk wet ingredients
* Stir zucchini into batter

No comments:

Post a Comment