Original Recipe HERE
I had made a chocolate zucchini cake for Husband's birthday the year before, and it was fabulous. For some reason I didn't save the link. Plenty of googling didn't result in anything familiar, so after admitting defeat I settled on this one. It wasn't quite as good as the first CZC, but it's worth saving and making again. I would have preferred it a little moister, so instead of completely squeezing out the zucchini juice, I'll leave some in.
I frosted this with a pumpkin-flavored cream cheese frosting (here), which was also worthy of repeating. Husband liked it (I think?) because he's doesn't have a major sweet tooth, so my usual go-to buttercream frosting isn't his thing. The pairing of this cake and that frosting made for a tasty dessert that wasn't too dessert-y.
1/2 cup fat-free milk [or buttermilk]
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar [only if using regular milk]
2-1/2 cups unbleached, all purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites
1-3/4 cups sugar
1 cup fat-free vanilla yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini, slightly drained
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9x2" glass dish or cake pan.
(2) If not using buttermilk, stir together the milk and the vinegar. Let sit 10 minutes.
(3) Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt into a medium bowl. Stir in chocolate chips, ensuring they are coated with flour mixture.
(4) In a large mixing bowl, using an eletric mixer, beat egg whites and sugar on low speed until well combined.
(5) Beat in yogurt, vanilla, and milk until just thoroughly blended.
(6) Gradually add sifted flour mixture to wet ingredients, stirring until blended.
(7) Using a wooden spoon or spatula, mix in zucchini until combined.
(8) Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out dry.
(9) Remove pan to a rack. Allow it to cool at least 30 minutes before cutting into individual pieces. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
* Sift dry ingredients
* Stir in zucchini