10.27.2011

Slow Cooker Pizza Chicken

Original Recipe HERE

As always, I used my 6-quart cooker.  I modified the original recipe a bit because I've learned that adding chopped veggies at the beginning of a slow cooking process usually results in mush.  I prefer mine to maintain a little crunch and their individual flavors so you can actually taste the pepper or onion or whatever if you get some of it in any particular forkful.  Also, cheese can get kind of burn-y and dried out, so I usually put it in with only a little cooking time left (or even wait until the cooker automatically switches to the "warm" setting).

This was a pretty basic recipe and therefore nothing mind-blowing, but it was hearty and easy and good enough to make again.  Thinking I didn't want to just serve bowls of saucy, cheesy chicken gooey-ness (not that there's anything wrong with that), I spontaneously baked a pizza crust.  I served it in wedges for dipping and scooping the main dish.  It worked fine, but next time I'll plan ahead and make breadsticks or tomato muffins or something more interesting.

Ingredients
3 to 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
14 oz pasta or pizza sauce
seasonings like basil, oregano, and garlic powder [optional]
20 pepperoni pieces [optional; I did not use]
1 4-oz can sliced black olives [optional]
3 to 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions
(1) Put chicken into cooker.  Top with sauce and seasonings (if using). Put the pepperoni pieces evenly over the top if using.
(2) Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or about 3 on high.
(3) Add vegetables; stir to combine.  Sprinkle cheese on top.  Cook for an additional 30 minutes to 1 hour.
 
Kid Participation:
* Dump sauce over chicken
* Place pepperoni slices
* Sprinkle cheese on top

No comments:

Post a Comment