10.07.2011

Creamy Tomato Sauce

Original Recipe HERE

This is an easy way to improve my standard "I haven't planned anything for dinner and now it's 6pm and the vultures are starting to wander into my kitchen" meal of pasta.  I left the sauce relatively thick; next time I will thin it out a bit more and probably not combine the pasta and sauce before serving.  We turn to the ruffles pasta shape most of the time because (1) it's easy for little hands to grab or stab with a fork, and (2) it traps sauce well.

Ingredients
1/2 pound pasta
1/4 onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 ounces. tomato paste
4 Tablespoons cream [I used half-n-half]
1/2 Tablespoon dried basil

Directions
(1) Cook pasta according to its directions.
(2) Meanwhile, heat a large pot or pan (able to hold cooked pasta) on medium heat.  Add olive oil and onion.
(3) After two minutes, add garlic.
(4) Turn down heat; add tomato paste.  Combine thoroughly with onions and garlic.
(5) Turn heat to low; add cream and basil.
(6) Drain pasta, reserving water.  Add pasta to sauce pan.  Toss together; add spoonfuls of pasta water to thin sauce to desired consistency.

Kid Participation: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment