7.08.2010

BBQ Chicken Soup

Original Recipe HERE

This was so good - I knew it would be just from smelling it while it simmered.  Husband even commented on how tasty it was going to be.  We weren't disappointed.  I made a few changes to the original recipe, and I changed the name because I'm not sure what was pizza-y about it to warrant labeling it such.  I also served it with orzo to make the portions "stretch."  I was so excited to have it for lunch the next day - rare is it when I'm impatiently awaiting lunchtime so I can dig into leftovers.  Turns out Husband took it with him to work.

Ingredients
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh minced or chopped garlic
11 oz can corn, drained
2 12 oz cans chicken, drained [or chopped / shredded cooked chicken breast]
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
14 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes, with juice [as much as you want to use]
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt or powder
small pasta (orzo, ditalini, etc.) or rice, cooked [optional]

Directions
1) Heat oil into a medium pot over medium heat. When hot, saute onions for 5 minutes or until softened.
2) Stir in garlic, corn and chicken ; mix to combine.
3) Pour in chicken broth, BBQ sauce, tomatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes or until ready to serve.
4) Stir in cooked pasta or rice.

Notes: Next time I'll add a can of black beans (drained); I didn't have any in the pantry this time.  Some mexican-blend cheese sprinkled on top could be tasty.

Kid Participation: None, unless your child knows how to use a can opener (and mine does not).

No comments:

Post a Comment