5.12.2010

Stir-Fried Sesame Asparagus

Original Recipe HERE

I really try to like asparagus.  I know it's good for me, and Husband is a big fan.  But no matter how I prepared it (steamed, broiled, grilled, roasted, etc.), I never hit upon a recipe that I enjoyed so much that my 30-year distaste of the vegetable could be reversed.  Until tonight.  This was so good.  *N* even asked for three servings - from a child who takes after her mother in the asparagus department, that's huge.  I was going to take a picture because it looked pretty, all bright green and sprinkled with sesame seeds.  However, Husband devoured the leftovers when he got home.  I guess that means this is a do-again.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2-3 large garlic cloves, chopped
2 pounds asparagus [I used one pre-packaged bunch], ends trimmed, cut on diagonal into 2-inch-long pieces
4 teaspoons sesame seeds

Directions
1) Stir soy sauce and sugar in small bowl until sugar dissolves.
2) Heat oil in heavy large skillet. Add garlic and stir 15 seconds.
3) Add asparagus and stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
4) Add soy mixture and toss until asparagus is coated, about 1 minute longer. Season with salt and pepper [I didn't use salt; I figured the soy had enough in it].
5) Transfer to bowl; sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
Notes: In my haste to make this dish, I accidentally put two TABLEspoons of sugar in - no wonder it didn't all dissolve.  I was going to say to cut the sugar in half next time, but apparently I should just follow the recipe instead.  Oops.  No other changes to be made, other than using more asparagus so we can all have as much as we want.
 
Kid Participation:
* Stir together soy sauce and sugar.
* Sprinkle sesame seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment