5.12.2010

Banana French Toast

Original Recipe HERE

I was looking for a way to use up some dangerously ripe bananas, as was the case with the cookies a while back (I promise we do eat plenty of bananas at the peak of freshness, but there's always one or two out of every bunch that lingers past its prime).  Since it was the weekend and Husband was available to wrangle the kids, I did a quick search for a banana pancake recipe.  I came across this one instead, and because we do pancakes often, decided to go for french toast.  That was risky, since I can never time things properly.  I soak the bread too long or not long enough, and I usually start off with the heat for the pan too low...so I get impatient that the bread is taking too long to turn golden, I crank up the temperature, and suddenly I have blackened french toast.  This time was no exception, but there were enough good slices for Husband and *N* while I took one for the team and ate the burned ones.

I used regular wheat bread because that's all we had, but I generally have better luck with a baguette or a similar thicker-cut loaf.  I keep meaning to try challah.  Anyway, you could definitely taste the banana, and I smothered mine with butter and a little syrup...very good.  It was an easier "special breakfast" than homemade pancakes and waffles are, as well as a much easier clean-up job.

Ingredients
2-3 large ripe bananas
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
3 egg whites
3/4 cup lowfat milk
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 slices bread
Cinnamon and confectioner's sugar, for dusting [optional]

Directions
1) Puree the bananas, vanilla, egg, egg whites, cinnamon, and milk in a blender or food processor.
2) Preheat the griddle. If using an electric skillet, preheat to 375 degrees F.  Use a nonstick spray if needed.
3) Place the bread in an oblong pan and pour the batter over it. Turn the slices of bread so the batter is absorbed evenly. Soak the bread until soft and almost falling apart. You can do this step in two batches.
4) Slip the bread into the skillet and cook until lightly browned on one side. Turn and cook until done. Dust with additional cinnamon and confectioner's sugar, if desired.

Notes: Next time I'll slice up an additional banana or two for a topping, and some sort of nut sprinkled on top (or in the batter?) would be a nice touch.

Kid Participation:
* Peel bananas.
* Crack eggs.
* Dust with cinnamon and sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment