4.21.2010

Parmesan Crusted Chicken

Original Recipe HERE

Chicken dishes are a staple in my house (much to Husband's chagrin; I've been told, "Chicken...again?" when he asks over the phone what's for dinner). Ideally they're good for me, but I usually end up smothering or dipping them in a sauce that negates any inherent health benefits. This is one of those kinds of recipes. It starts out with plain baked chicken, but the topping adds a lot of (1) flavor, and (2) calories. I don't think there's a way to health-ify it, other than perhaps using reduced fat dressing and cheeses. Oh well. In the flavor versus health match-up, flavor always wins out.

Ingredients
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
seasonings / spices for chicken [I used pepper & galic salt]
1/2 cup creamy Ranch dressing
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon jarred minced garlic
1/2 cup provolone cheese, divided [I couldn't find shredded, so I bought it sliced and diced it up pretty small. I also approximated the amount]
3 oz panko bread crumbs [approximate amount]

Directions
1) Season chicken & bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.
2) While the chicken is baking, mix together ranch dressing, parmesan cheese, garlic, and 1/8 cup of provolone cheese.
3) Toast bread crumbs (enough to cover tops of the chicken breasts) and set them aside.  (Note: be careful not to burn them).
4) When chicken is cooked through, remove it from the oven and turn broiler on. Spread creamy cheese mixture on each piece of chicken. Sprinkle the remaining provolone cheese on top. Top that with the toasted bread crumbs.
5) Place chicken under the broiler until the cheese is melted and browned a little on top.

Notes: I halved the topping recipe for two chicken breasts, and it probably should've been cut in thirds instead.  Next time I'll try seasoning with dill as well.  I served it with Cheddar Biscuit Cups.

Kid Participation:
* Mix topping ingredients together.
* Sprinkle provolone and bread crumbs on top of cooked chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment